Preserving Lawful Permanent Resident Status


Lawful permanent residents (LPRs) can lose their lawful permanent residence if they remain outside the United States for more than 180 days or if they fail to otherwise maintain their residence in the United States.  LPRs who need to remain outside the United States for prolonged periods of time for employment, schooling, family, or other personal reasons can usually apply for reentry permits to secure their status as lawful permanent residence for periods of one or 2 years depending on the length of their absences from the United States over the past 5 years.  HSPRD attorneys have years of experience advising LPRs who must travel abroad for lengthy periods of time concerning strategies for preserving their LPR status and their right to return to the United States.  We also represent LPRs at U.S. Ports of Entry returning from international travel who fear being denied entry as LPRs.  In addition, HSPRD attorneys also advise LPRs regarding the impact of prolonged periods abroad on their rights to apply for naturalization.

To schedule a consultation with HSPRD attorneys for advice and regarding preservation of LPR status, please contact our Firm at (312) 239-7675 or

Learn More About Your Options

Contact Us

Let’s Get Started

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt